Protecting Your Kitchen From Fire Damage
Did you know that kitchen fires account for half of the house fires that occur each year in the United States? We know firsthand how traumatic and devastating fire damage is, and we want to be sure that we are helping all we can to inform and empower our neighbors in Greensboro to be more proactive about fire safety, especially in the kitchen.
Here are some things you can do to help keep your kitchen and home safe from fire damage.
- Make the decision now to be more aware of what is going on in the kitchen. Never leave cooking food unattended, or heated appliances on when you are not able to monitor them. Being careless in the kitchen can result in catastrophic fire damage that can happen within a matter of seconds. Whenever an appliance is turned on, producing heat, or there is food cooking, be alert and aware. Burning food can lead to more than just a ruined dinner, it can spark a fire. Do not let neglect in the kitchen turn into fire damage.
- A great way to keep your kitchen safe from fire damage is to have a fire extinguisher on hand that is easily accessible. Fire extinguishers are only beneficial if you know how to work them, and can get to them quickly in case a small, contained fire breaks out. If you have never used a fire extinguisher before, the following acronym is helpful to remember: PASS
P = Pull the pin
A = Aim the nozzle at the base of the fire
S = Squeeze the trigger
S = sweep the nozzle from side to side
An important thing to keep in mind when using a fire extinguisher is to not waste any time attempting to extinguish a fire that is not responding to your efforts. If the flames are large, the fire is not contained to one area, or is not diminishing, stop attempting to put it out and instead get everyone safely out of the house and call 9-1-1.
- If you are cooking with grease, be extra cautious. Deep frying, while delicious, can result in grease fires that can easily spread and cause serious burns. BE sure to only fill the pot you are frying in 1/3 of the way full of oil. Keep any flammable objects a safe distance away since grease can pop and splatter onto nearby objects when it heats up, igniting fires. If a grease fire does start, do not use water to put it out. Water and oil do not mix, and it will only make the fire worse. Instead, be sure to have a lid that fits the frying pot and/or baking soda on hand. If the fire is small, you can put the lid over the grease cutting off the oxygen supply and thwarting the flames. Baking soda is also great to use to put out a grease fire, just pour it over the flames. Again, if a grease fire becomes too large or is not responding to your efforts to put it out, get out of the house and call for help.
Just by following these simple suggestions, you can greatly reduce the risk of fires from starting in your kitchen. If you do find yourself faced with fire damage, be sure to call the experts at Restoration 1 of Winston/Salem.